Sunday, January 6, 2013

Getting a good start in 2013....

      Getting Started in 2013!     

                                         A New painting in oil...                  

For my first painting this year, I will work in oil on a 14 x 18" stretched canvas.  The subject is one that has been on my "to-do" list for three years!  (Remember the purpose of my blog is to share the real facts!)
I have visited my site and taken many photos as well as borrowing some from family members to get all the info I feel I may need to complete the work.  Sometimes information not visible in the finished work are still very important to give the artist the confidence of knowing or "understanding" the subject.  I spent a day working on the first sketch which was done on tracing (calque) paper. 



It is important to work from several photos at once if not working on location.  Each photo will have information you will need to get the perspective and elements correct.  

 I transferred the drawing to the canvas.  By working and re-working the drawing on paper, I create a clean and neat drawing on the canvas by using carbon transfer paper.  

I like to varnish the canvas to "hold" the sketch in place.  I use dull varnish for oil paintings or "re-touch" varnish.  Spray the canvas outside and allow it to lay flat until dry.

The next step is very important:  Give yourself time to become familiar with your own sketch.  

Put the canvas on the easel and work on another project for the rest of the day while giving the new image time to "jell" in your head and minds eye.
I make a note card list of the first three steps I will paint tomorrow.  On this one, I plan to do an "under-painting."  Using tube colors, I will quickly paint very thin layers of the basic colours on the canvas.  We call this "killing the white" which gives the mind time to work our hue, density, contrast and the basic harmony of colours. 

I am excited about this work of art and 
so very happy with myself for finally getting this work under way. 

Let's make this a good year !

No comments:

Post a Comment