Friday, January 11, 2013

The last dance with a painting....

The last dance....

Welcome to the final edition of this project!  I hope you will join my blog so when I begin another project on-line, you will receive an e-mail and can follow along with us.  
I love teaching and sharing.  Thank you for joining me in this project!!
donna




I decided yesterday that I would finish this painting today.  From experience I know how an artist can get entranced in the comfort of a painting and avoid finishing it. 

Each evening. I spend time making my studio and palette right for the next session. 
 I use the time to think about what will be next.

 Consistency is the key.  I make labels for my classes that fit around the edges of the palette so you not only know where to put the colours, but you learn the names of each colour.
 This is a real confidence booster!


It is important to put out enough colour each time.  Having to stop and find a tube can be a real hassle and interruption... especially in the field.


I divided the final steps up in my mind and decided which step or area I would complete next.  Mentally, I moved all the other issues of the painting to the back of my mind and attacked the first step with confidence.

I offer advice to my fellow painters to avoid the opinions of most spouses... especially if they are engineers or accountants.  (we laugh!)  Hormonal teens fit in this list too.



Knowing my subject as I do, I cannot imagine this house without the big trees.  The trees had to be put in last as a framing device that gives us all the answers and stays accurate.  I added the Magnolia first on the left.

Note: I use damar "Retouch" varnish spray to "lift" the color if that last session has dried. Once the oil colour dries, it looks dull and flat so much that when you start painting over it, it does not visually blend and does not look right.  Take the painting outside, lay it flat and give it a light even coat of "retouch" varnish.  Careful not to over-do this as it will flow and streak once you stand it back up





The Magnolia began to look a little "arranged" or "cookie cutter" so I had to back up and relax to make it more natural.  If you are not an artist this might sound strange, but it works.

 Drinking, however does not work....

I show you my palette while working on the "greens" which can be a real key to a great landscape.  Learning to create shade of "grey green" is key to really great trees and things that grow in God's garden of beauty.  To make a certain area look vibrant, it is necessary that other areas appear dull... or grey.  Also, to make things appear in the distance, you have to make them even more grey... add more blue and orange along with white to see what a difference that can make. 

The right side of the canvas needed something as well, but not the tall oaks or heavy fig trees I remembered there.  I began adding a low branch of a pin oak and it morphed into a Wisteria type bush that I liked.  I am pretty sure the family will approve of this bit of artistic improvisation.



I finally signed the painting.  
  
I usually see things I could change, but it is probably best to let it go.  There are exceptions to this rule and each artist has to decide when the desire to "fix" something overrides the wisdom to leave it alone.



 There are no rules,  just good judgement.

donna peters
2013 






I have enjoyed sharing this blog with you.  I learn a little more about the BLOG thing each time I do it.  I love teaching what I have learned about art and myself.

This week I have taken 2 hours each day to get away from the painting and sketch out doors. 
In my 2013 to-do list I committed to doing a set of sketches for some note cards.  Each card will be a sketch from a place I really enjoy sitting with a view that on God can improve on.

Set your goals high and laugh at yourself.  Spend time with people who are living and not just "consuming" life and stuff.  

Have a great year and make everyday count!

If you live near one of the cities where I will be teaching a one day class at
 Hobby Lobby, I hope you will join us.

You can find all the information about the workshops on my web site:
www.donnapeters.com



***********************************

For those friends who paint with me on the coast,  our friend, Mary, is doing well.  
She sends her love!



No comments:

Post a Comment