Friday, July 5, 2013

Where do I go from here !!!

The real challenge of this painting is now on the easel.


I have been digging thru my old art magazines and some favorite books by artists of accomplishment.  I have learned that not everyone that writes an art book is "accomplished"  just bold enough to write a book!  I look at it like picking fruit at the store... be selective what you bring home to make part of your diet.


Since the painting is more than dry, I began by spraying it with "Retouch" varnish to make it look wet.  This "lifts" the colour and the values become rich so my fresh paint will not look so different against the dry paint. 

The first issue:


Not everything in a painting is the "star."   Ya'll know I like comparing a composition with music.  Elvis had a great back-up group to make him sound his best and the same is true for a painting.



If the back-up music gets to loud, it will steal the show from my boats. 

Therefore, the tree and grasses I plan to put into the foreground will need to be balanced so it only serves to explain my painting and set the environment for where I want my viewer to be when he "discovers" the wonderful view  I am presenting.

Colour is key.


The colours in this area cannot be too warm or have great contrast.  I studied my sketches and notes like a road map to a place I have never been.  I began to imagine the effect in my mind.  If I can see it in my mind, it has a good chance of coming off the brush right.

I felt confident that I knew how to make the tall grass have detail without being demanding of the viewer's attention.  I mixed a family of greens that were more toward a "veridian" green... or blue-greens. 



Using a "liner"  or "rigger" brush, I made sure I was relaxed and confident to quickly drop in a few stalks in my darkest green of the new family. 
If this grass were in the direct sunshine, it would have more yellow, red and possibly orange.  For sure it would have more detail if near the subject.

Brush strokes that are made with confidence are done quickly and NEVER appear labored!  
Practice on a piece of paper if you like. 

To the right of the tall cane grass, I want a few clumps of water grass.  It is usually a dull colour and that works well for this area.  For the most part, it will just add texture.  I used a very cheap cheap utility brush from the hardware store.  I made a blue purple for the base area of the grass and then made a white with tiny touch of yellow ochre  to put in a few  blades in that will actually be hit by the light from the sun which is to the left.  

The light touches made with the really cheap brush are quick and I pull myself away before I over do it!  This is so easy to do.  

I am really feeling great to be in the studio today.  
Outside is looks like rain and the music is just right in my comfortable space.  

After the 2 grasses dry, I should have decided what will be my next step.  I have drawn in a couple of large rocks.  I think I will keep them, but I must resist making them so detailed that they up-stage my wonderful shrimp boat.

Time for lunch!




No comments:

Post a Comment