Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year !


  I love new beginnings.  An opportunity to make a new goals list, take a deep breath and made a silent commitment to excellence is all so wonderful.

I  begin the year by holding an oil painting classes in Gulfport, MS and Tuscaloosa, AL.  There will be others, but the dates are not totally firm right now.  Each workshop will be a 2 Saturday event.  This gives us a great opportunity to mix in several mini lessons about the proper way to use materials and special techniques.  After watching a few You Tube videos today, there are so many sources for bad information that I hope to share what I know with those who really want to know the correct way to use materials and paint.  There are full details on the first page of my web site: www.donnapeters.com

If you have not made your 2014 goals list, be sure to make one for the year as a whole, then 12 small ones for things you want to do each month.  You will be amazed at how helpful this small exercise can be.  It is so rewarding to mark each one completed as you move thru the year. At the end of the year, you will have honored a very private contract with yourself and have a wonderful sense of accomplishment. 

  I would like to suggest a book that is art related.  You will enjoy the artistic life the characters play as well as the learning about the life as an artist. 

The Art Forger 

by

B. A, Shapiro


This is a story of a young artist living in the NY/Boston area.  She works hard to make a living in her passion for painting.  I am only half way though it myself, but have really enjoyed the details of how certain art is created... and the truth about the world of art dealers. $23.95

As  I plan each year, I pick projects in which I can use my art to do for others.  This last year, I did several bulletin covers for our church: Livingston Chapel United Methodist in Crane Hill, AL. We are a small country church with tremendous energy for doing for others.  I am amazed at how many lives are touched by the generosity of this small family of friends.

This scene in Crane Hill is one of my favorites to paint.  



I like using local scenery to tell the Christmas Story. 

In December I began creating a web site for the church.  It is a work in progress, especially the "Chapel Chat" page where I hope to create an inactive page for us to share the details of our many programs and projects.  www.livingston-chapel.com


Every time I  take on such a project, I learn and grow so much which gives back to me in big ways. I have always warned artists not to start a series that is political or "impossible" but I am guilty of beginning a set of pen and ink sketches of each of the churches in Crane Hill.  I am really afraid to ask how many there are!
I hope this page of sharing will inspire you to get ready for a really great year.  If you get a chance to take one of my classes, I look forward to spending time with you.

The best way to receive much is to give away more. 
 Be generous in all that you do and you will never feel poor.   

donna

No comments:

Post a Comment